Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Osama Bin Laden's Death discussion

For the last class of the semester, I was sadly not able to attend due to health reasons. I spent the day Monday in urgent care, had a fever among other systems and was just not well enough to attend on Tuesday.

It certainly saddened me, as this class has been of that I've enjoyed: the topic, the readings, my classmates, our discussions and the many things I've learned.

Enough about me, I wanted to try and chime in on the discussion that I missed on Tuesday. According to many of my classmates, the death of Osama bin Laden is what dominated the conversation.

I think his death is a significant, yet symbolic, achievement for the United States. It gives a reinvigorated morale boost to our military. I also think it helps ease the mind of the many people who have been adamantly against the wars we've been fighting.

I go word from NBC News that they would be broadcasting a Special Report around 10:45 on Sunday. The plan was to go live to the White House and have President Obama's address. The president did not take to the podium in the East Room until about 11:15.

The first place I discovered the topic of the president's address was on Twitter. Immediately, people took to the Twitter airwaves to announce the news, then react to the news. Osama and OBL quickly became trending topics.

I think it's interesting how many of the details we learned Sunday were incorrect. You wonder how information can leave the White House and not be correct.

The most interesting part of the incident are some of the surveillance details. The United States reportedly knew of bin Laden's location for more than six months. It came to precise timing as to when the military made the raid. It is also interesting how Pakistan government officials were not involved in the raid nor did they know about it. Also, Osama was hiding within 100 miles of a massive city, not in cave as many suspected.

In the age of information in which we live, how is it possible that someone like bin Laden stay hidden? It is obvious communication had to leave that house, as he is a major leader in the terrorist operation. Also, he was the most wanted man in the world. With Facebook and Twitter, the least wanted person in the U.S. could be identified within minutes.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment